Baptism is a very joyous Sacrament for the entire family and confirms your strong commitment to your Catholic faith.
Below are a list of the necessary steps for parents and godparents
- Register in the Parish. Parents of the child to be baptized at St. Helen Church must be registered at the Parish. If you are not already registered, please do so as soon as possible. If you are registered at another Catholic Church, we need a “letter of permission” to baptize from your Pastor.
- Selecting Godparents. Godparents play a very important role in your child’s spiritual life. They should serve as role models of the Catholic faith. Additionally, they represent the larger Church community. Please use the criteria below when choosing your Godparents:
- A Godfather and Godmother must be one male and one female. We encourage you to select two Catholic Godparents, but only one is required.
- This Godparent MUST be Catholic, registered at a church and practicing their faith, and have received all their Sacraments to include Confirmation.
- Godparent must be at least 16 yrs. old.
3. Attend a Baptism Preparation Class. Both parents and godparents must attend a class. St. Helen Church offers this class once monthly, on the first Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. in the St. Francis Room located in the Christian Living Center on 2025 20th Ave. If your godparents live out of town, they can attend a class at their home parish. Please ask for some documentation as we will need this to be attached to the baptism paperwork.
4. Baptisms are scheduled on the first and third Sundays of each month. They take place in the church following the 12:15 p.m. Mass. Please plan on attending this Mass and directly following the mass, move up to the front on Mary’s side. Mother and child sit on the aisle seat, and when ready, the Priest or Deacon will call your family by name.
5. A certificate will be mailed to you in a few weeks. Please call 722-562-5954 for more information or assistance. God Bless You!
Godparent Form:Use this form for each Godparent if they are Catholic
Christian Witness Form:Use this form for Non-Catholic witness. At least one Godparent must be Catholic.
Please complete the three forms above and return to St. Helen Religious Education at 1201 19th Place, Suite B302