Congratulations on the upcoming baptism of your child! This is a very joyous Sacrament for the entire family and confirms your strong commitment to your Catholic faith.
Below are a list of the necessary steps for parents and godparents:
1. Register in the Parish. Parents of the child to be baptized at St. Helen Church must be registered at the Parish. If you are not already registered, please do so as soon as possible. There is a 6 week waiting period if you are newly registered, during that time you will be attending weekend Mass and completing your forms, and attending baptism preparation class. If you are registered at another Catholic Church, we will need a “letter of permission” to baptize from your Pastor.
2. Selecting Godparents. Godparents play a very important role in your child’s spiritual life. They should serve as role models of the Catholic faith. Additionally, they represent the larger Church community. Please use the criteria below when choosing your Godparents:
- A Godfather and Godmother must be one male and one female. We encourage you to select two Catholic Godparents, but only one is required.
- This Godparent MUST be Catholic, registered at a Church and practicing their faith, and have received all their Sacraments to include Confirmation, and, if married, married in the Catholic Church.
- Godparent must be at least 16 yrs. old.
BAPTISM CLASS: A baptism class is required for baptisms at St. Helen. The class is on the first Wednesday of each month in the St. Patrick room of the CLC (2025 20th Ave.). Class is from 6pm to 7pm.
Baptisms are scheduled on the first & third Sunday of each month following the 12:15 p.m. Mass. Alternate times are available by request.
Paperwork: You may download and print your Baptism application found below. All paperwork must be completed and turned in to the office no later than 10 days prior to the baptism date.
7. A certificate will be mailed to you a few weeks after the baptism.
Please complete the three forms above and return to St. Helen Religious Education at 2005 Tallahassee Ave. Phone: 772-562-5954